Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday Night! Movie Night!

If we’re not talking about books, we’re probably discussing movies.  Even better, movies adapted from books.  Whether it’s which actors should play what character or what we picture the book’s world looking like on the silver screen, we’ll spend hours  deciding just what will make the movie perfect.  
This Friday, let’s talk about the movies that inspire us to read the book it’s based on.
Monica

In most cases, I won’t watch a movie, unless I’ve read the book it’s based on.  I think there are a lot of moments in a movie that wouldn’t make sense if you hadn’t read the book first.  When I do watch the movie first, it’s usually because I had no idea it was based on a book.  This doesn’t happen a lot now, but it used to.  One of my favorite movies is Where the Heart Is, but I have never read the book by Billie Letts (didn’t know it was a book for years).  I know this is a problem easily remedied, but for some reason I also worry that the book will ruin the movie.  The opposite is usually true.  But I have added it to my TBR (to-be-read) and am really inspired to read it.  Harry Potter is another one for me, but I 
won’t start the books until after I see the last movie next month.  I am honestly so sad that the movies will be over!  I love them.  One of the reasons I have not yet read the books is that I am able to watch the movies and relax.  No comparisons to the books, no disappointment in omissions.  Just pure entertainment.  So sometimes watching the movie first, has its advantages.




Lindsey




I go through periods of time where I think that every movie is based on a book.  I'll see a movie, then think "I have to read that book!"  I look for the book only to find out that one does not exist.  Other times I think that a movie is just a movie, I never even consider that it was ever even a book.
Just recently I had a birthday.  My dad was so excited for me to get my present.  I could not imagine what it could be.  Finally it arrived and to my amazement it was the Amazon Kindle.  Gasp!!!!!  I love it!  I never thought I would enjoy one simply because I love the smell of books, the look of books, and having that collection on my shelf (not to fail to mention that I do judge a book by it's cover).  But I do love my Kindle (I'll get to the point soon enough).  After a while I got bored of reading the manual, I decided to go to Amazon and look at books, see what I could find.  I was so excited to see they had books for free and only $0.99 (trust me, I got a lecture from my husband "I know how much you read......we're not going to go broke over books....).  One of the suggestions that popped up was The Princess Bride.  Wait!?  What!?  That's a book?  I know I sound silly, especially to those of you who know that this is a book, but I honestly had no idea.  The Princess Bride is in my top 5 favorite movies.  After this discovery, I'm hoping the book will be up there too.

Julianne
I love finding out when movies are based on books because then its just another book for me to read. So normally if a movie is about to come out and it looks interesting I try to figure out if it is based on a book. My inspiration to read a book because of a movie goes back a few years.



When I was in 5th grade I went and saw The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. And let me say I LOVE THAT MOVIE. So right after I saw the movie I flew through the entire series. To this day it is still one of my FAVORITE books.
What movie has inspired you to read the book?

No comments: