Friday, June 3, 2011

Friday Night, Movie Night...



If we’re not talking about books, we’re probably discussing movies.  Even better, movies adapted from books.  Whether it’s which actors should play what character or what we picture the book’s world looking like on the silver screen, we’ll spend hours  deciding just what will make the movie perfect.  
This Friday will be dedicated to discussing what our favorite movie based on a book is.
Monica
One of my favorites is The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks.  I loved the book and I loved the movie just as much.  Not only is it one of my favorite adaptations, but it is also just one of my favorite movies.  Casting was perfect and they never strayed too far from the story.  The only part I was disappointed about was the ending, and I mean the very final scene.  It was so different from the book.  If you’ve read The Wedding, also by Nicholas Sparks, you’ll understand why.  Other than that, it was a great adaptation and I would without hesitation recommend both.  Besides, you can’t go wrong with Rachel McAdams or Ryan Gosling.  
Lindsey
I would have to say one of my favorite books to movies is The Godfather.  They are both classics for a reason.  A few years back I bought my husband The Godfather 1 and 2 for father's day.  Neither one of us had seen them yet.  We watched them and fell in love.  I doubt a day does not go by that we don't quote either The Godfather or Seinfeld.  We're huge Seinfeld fans, to a point where it's a bit dorky.  When we were first married we didn't have cable, but we did have Seinfeld and we watched it EVERY day, for a year.  We also had The Godfather.  It didn't get watched as much but it was watched quite often.  As you can tell, my family doesn't get tired of things (especially my girls).  Recently, my husband came home with a copy of the book.  He read it and said it was better than the movie, which surprised us both, because we love the movie so much.  So when he finished, I read it.  It was a great book, and I agree that it was better than the movie.  Obviously the book was more insightful, but I liked that we learned more about a few charachters that were not developed in the movie.  Like Johny Fontane.  He has a pretty big part in the book.  The only thing I didn't like;  I have been reading only young adult books for a couple of years now so I'm used to their "PG-13" ratings (which is why I enjoy them so much).  The Godfather definitely has an "R" rating and it was definitely written for guys.  The "romance" scenes made me want to puke.  I did my best to skim over them.  But overall it was a good book and it made watching the movie more enjoyable.  There are things a viewer might miss, having not read the book.


My daughter is literally eating a book right now.  I guess that means I'm done.


Julianne
What is you favorite book-turned-movie?

No comments: