Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday Blog Hop


We’re participating in our first Blog Hop!  We’re pretty excited.  We’ll be joining in on the fun had at Parajunkee’s Feature and Follow Friday.  She asks great questions each Friday and they are always fun to answer.  So we thought, what the heck, we might as well get in on the action. 
Today’s question:
Genre Wars! What's your favorite genre and which book in that genre made it your favorite?

Monica
This cover is way creepier than the one I had.
My favorite genre has been Paranormal for as long as I can remember.  It started with the ghostly Wait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing Hahn.  Molly’s family moves into a remodeled church out in the country near Baltimore.  Soon after, a dangerous ghost starts luring Molly’s step-sister away and sinister things begin to happen.  I first read this book in the 2nd or 3rd grade and have re-read it more times than I can count.  Lindsey and I would sit up late at night reading scary stories.  I love scary stories, especially if they have some sort of paranormal aspect.  I credit this genre for my love of reading.  I couldn’t get enough of ghosts, vampires, shape shifters, and witches.  Nothing much has changed since.  
Lindsey
I'm going to have to agree with Monica on Paranormal.  I can't get enough of them.  I hate to admit this, especially on a book blog, but when I went into middle school I thought reading was for dorks.  Maybe, it was because I was concerned that I was a dork because I loved Paranormal books so much.  Anyways, to try and be cool, I quit reading.  One of my biggest regrets.  For years I only picked up a book if it was for an assignment or school.  Luckily, as an adult, I don't care what people think.  I do what makes me happy and I'm happy to admit to my quirky habits.  It's what makes me me.  And I LOVE Paranormal!!!!!!!



Julianne
I would have to say that Paranormal is my favorite genre as well but since Monica has already talked about it I thought I would change it up a bit. My second favorite genre would definitely have to be Fantasy. It is after all the genre that got me hooked on reading. Now you may be wondering what such book could bring a girl (whose family was worried might never pick up a book) to absolutely be obsessed with reading. That wonderful book is HARRY POTTER. These books have been a HUGE part of my life. I am not afraid to say that I have been a crazy OBSESSED Potter fan. It makes me truly sad that after the movie comes out this summer that I will no longer have any new Harry Potter stuff to look forward to. But hey.... I always have Universal to go to and enjoy the wonderful Wizarding World of Harry Potter.


And to show Harry through the years I'm going to share one of my favorite pictures of all time....
Image found here
So, what’s your favorite genre?

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hi, hopping through from FF. I stick to all things paranormal myself. I have never read this book though i'll have to check it out. (new follower)You can find/follow back if you like at www.bendingthespine.blogspot.com
Happy Friday
~Rebecca

Jeanna said...

Paranormal is always the way to go. Love that genre. Though I haven't read the book you mention, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing. Here's my hop:
http://thebucketlist-gn.blogspot.com/2011/06/first-friday-of-summer.html
Happy reading and have a lovely weekend!

Bex said...

Oh, that's interesting. I chose Paranormal as one of my favourites as well, but I don't think I've heard of that one? Hmm... Sounds interesting!

New follower. :) My FF can be found here!

Rebecca @ kindle fever

Anonymous said...

I also read a lot of paranormal, although I ended up picking YA contemporary and fantasy this week!
Here's my follow friday.

Alison Can Read said...

Hopping through. New follower! I haven't heard of Wait till Helen Comes. It sounds like just the type of book I would've liked as a kid.
My Hop

Lisa B. said...

All right, new genre I like historical fiction. I am not sure if that is a real genre or if I just made it up, but I like books about real times or events with pretend people. Oh, and I like the books to be really sad, like kind of disturbingly sad.

*Monica*Lindsey*Julianne* said...

Lisa, Lindsey and I were just talking about this the other day. That we like sad movies, sad books, we like sad. I think that's why I enjoy Paranormal, so many are sad. Weird.

And yes, historical fiction is a genre. I also like it.

--monica