Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday Blog Hop





It’s time for Parajunkee’s Friday Blog Hop and we love the question this week.  All three of us our obsessed with the topic lately.  So join us for some fun...
Q.  In light of the Summer Solstice. Also known as Midsummer...let's talk about fairies. What is your favorite fairy tale or story that revolves around the fae?


Monica
I love a fairy tale.  I could probably say that any fairy tale is close to being my favorite.  But if I had to choose just one it would be the retelling of the Brothers Grimms’ (that sounds wrong) Goose Girl by Shannon Hale.  I’ve also read the original and Hale stays true to the tone and story.  Although it is not quite as dark as the Brothers Grimm version, it is not what you would call the Disney version.  Isi, the main character, never gives up and I love that message.  Highly entertaining and leaves you thinking about it for years afterwards.  
I also love stories about fae.  I have read a pretty good assortment, The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa, the Fairiewalker series by Jenna Black, Impossible and Extraordinary by Nancy Werlin, and the Need series by Carrie Jones.  But I would have to say my favorite is the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr.  I’m a bit of a sucker for grittier, darker stories and this one fits the bill.  I like that each book follows a different character, but past characters make plenty of appearances.  I highly recommend this series.
Lindsey
Julianne
Having fun...
What is your favorite fairy tale or story about fae?

6 comments:

Marla said...

Hi! I'm a new follower. If you like fairy tale re-tellings, I highly suggest Deerskin and Spindle's End by Robin McKinley. They are fantastic and I have read them more than once. She has some others, as well, that are well worth checking out. Hope you enjoy your weekend!

Marla @ Starting the Next Chapter

Amy said...

Hey!

I really need to read the Iron Fey. I think i'm the only person who hasn't. Great answer.

Here's my Friday

Amy@adumbrations (new follower)

karen! said...

New follower! I'm looking forward to seeing how three of you manage the blog.

Happy Friday.

morsie reads

Lisa B. said...

I love Beauty, obviousy the retelling of Beauty and the Beast. But it is a very good retelling. I read it ten years ago and still remember it!!

Alison Can Read said...

Hopping through. Yay for Iron Fey. I really want to read Nancy Werlin's books.
My Hop

JacobTeal said...

Hey I found your blog via Follow Friday, and I'm your newest follower!

If you get a moment, head over to Teen Fiction Centre, and take a look around!