Friday, May 13, 2011

Where She Went...


Where She Went by Gayle Forman
4.5 stars
Synopsis:
It’s been three years since the devastating accident … three years since Mia walked out of Adam’s life forever.
Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Julliard’s rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia’s home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future—and each other.
Review:
If you liked If I Stay, you will love Where She Went.  This time we follow Adam three years after Mia’s accident.  Adam is the opposite of what he was in the previous book.  He has become superstitious, cynical, empty, insecure, and lonely.  Then he sees Mia again and all those feelings from the prior three years and beyond gurgle back up.  I love going back in time through his memories and seeing things through his perspective.  His childhood, his family, the beginnings of the band and his relationship with Mia, his love for her and his life after her.  Most of the first hours they spend together is like wading in very shallow waters, they are both very careful of what they say to each other.  Finally Adam breaks, only to have Mia walk away from him.  I started to think, Wait!  Is this supposed to be closure?!  Luckily it wasn’t the end of the story, but it was the beginning of Adam’s healing.  Although he’s spent all those years without her, he certainly never tried to get over her, no matter what he said or did.

I loved this story.  It was beautifully written and the characters were just as strong from the previous book.  I was hesitant to read a book from a boy’s perspective written by a woman.  The last few I’ve read felt like a woman writing what she thought a boy would think, say or do.  But this was so believable and I never questioned Adam’s choice of words, actions or thoughts.  Even though I thought I knew how the story would end, I was surprised.  Which was so nice and refreshing.
I highly recommend this book, but first read If I Stay if you haven’t already.  

--monica

No comments: