Tuesday, May 10, 2011

If I Stay Review

 If I Stay by Gayle Forman                                                                Synopsis:                                                 Synopsis:
   Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, adoring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. Then, in an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the one decision she has left—the most important decision she’ll ever make.
Review:
   This is a heartbreaking story that grabbed my attention right away.  I could not put it down until I was finished.  The love that this family feels for one another is immense and is what, in my opinion, made this story beautiful.  As Mia is deciding between life and death, she takes you back in time through vivid memories that paint a clear picture of her life and the people that influenced it.  For me, at first, it seemed like an easy answer, of course I would choose life.  But she has lost so much and is unsure of what is ahead, only that she will feel the deep pain of loss.  Even then, I was hoping she would choose life and keep fighting.  I’ll even admit to get a bit teary every now and then.  
    Mia is a strong character and you immediately get a sense of who she is.  Even in moments of tragedy, her biting sense of humor, quick wit and family loyalty is made obvious.  Through her, we meet a motley crew of characters that I quickly loved and either mourned for or mourned with.  Her parents did bother me a little bit.  They were so liberal, so laid back, so hip.  Not that there is anything wrong with any of those characteristics because I honestly don’t think there is.  However, too much is too much and I found myself rolling my eyes few times in their direction (well, at the book anyway).  Other than that little peeve, all of the characters are solid and well drawn. 
I recommend this book and gave it 4 stars.  It is a quick read, but one that will stick with you long after you have closed the pages.


--monica

No comments: