Saturday, July 9, 2011

Playing with Fire Review


Playing with Fire by Gena Showalter
3.5 Stars
Synopsis:
Earth, Wind & Fire aren't just a band anymore . . .
Used to be my greatest achievement was holding a job more than three days. Now suddenly I can shoot fireballs, chill your drink, or blow-dry your hair at fifty paces with a blink of my eye!
It all started when this crazy scientist dropped something in my Grande Mocha Latte. Of course I got wicked sick. Next morning I'm waking up with this total hottie bending over me. He tells me 1) his name's Rome Masters, 2) he's a government agent and 3) I can control the four elements with a thought.
He seems even less pleased by my (apparently irreversible) transformation than I am . . . Because now he'll have to kill me.
Review:
I enjoyed this book.  While Belle comes across a bit immature, I warmed to her character.  She has a strong devotion to her dad and everything, up until this point, she has done for him.  She is witty, smart and fun to follow while learning to master her new powers.  
Although the romance, at times, seems a bit forced (Belle either jumps to conclusions and/or forgives Rome much too quickly for my taste), it develops sweetly and remains pretty sexy for the remainder of the book.  I look forward to seeing where the next book takes them.
It’s a quick read, but the characters are vivid and I instantly fell in love with Tanner.  He’s like most young men looking for something missing in their life and joining Belle and Rome seems to be the answer.  He is hilarious and cracked me up quite a few times.  I love him as Belle’s sidekick.
I bounced between 3 and 4 stars, but decided on 3.5.  While the characters are well-written and parts of the story-line original, there were times that I felt like things were forced or just didn’t work well enough to suspend disbelief.  I do recommend this book to anyone looking for a fun and sexy Paranormal Romance.
--monica

No comments: