Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Book Review: Glass Houses by Rachel Caine


Glass Houses (Morganville Vampires #1) by Rachel Caine
★★★☆☆

Synopsis:
Welcome to Morganville, Texas. Just don't stay out after dark. College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation, where the popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks in the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life. But they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood. (from Shelfari)
Review:
It took me a while to get into this book. It was very slow moving and I struggled to relate to the 16 year-old genius thrust into college life. Also, I think she repeatedly made stupid decisions and I literally smacked my forehead on one occasion (and came close many other times).
With that being said, by about 75% in, the action picked up and I really started to enjoy it. Claire was more relatable and likable. And the story ends on a wicked cliffhanger, ensuring that anyone that makes it that far will continue on to the next in the series. I will, for sure, but I'm hoping there isn't such a slow build up in the second book.
--monica

No comments: